Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoldenAnderos
Sprite Novice!
Sprite Novice!

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Empty
PostSubject: Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial)   Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 11:21 am

Can't find a sprite sheet for a certain video game? This is a tutorial I made for newbies on how to take your own sprite from an image. I'm not sure if this can be done on MSPaint, so if you don't have Gimp, download it for free by googling it.

First, select an image off the internet that has the sprite you want in it. Copy it, then start up Gimp and choose around 100x100 (l x w), depending on how big the sprite is. Before clicking okay, click on advanced options, and under "Fill With", select transparency. Now click okay, and paste your image onto the canvas. Make sure that you can see the sprite you want clearly.

Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Tutori10

I chose Mario as an example.

Next, click "View" on the top toolbar, then click on "Zoom", and select 800%. That's a decent zoom choice for pixel art. Scroll and/or use the move tool until you have a clear view of the sprite onscreen.

Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Tutori11

Now select Eraser off the Gimp toolpanel. On the bottom half, checkmark the box with "Hard Edge" next to it. Under brush, click on the box with a circle in it, and select the one at the top left that's a single pixel. Start erasing the background touching the sprite pixel by pixel, like so. There should be different shades of gray underneath when you erase it on Gimp.

Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Tutori12

There should be different shades of gray underneath when you erase it on Gimp. That signifies transparency.

Keep on erasing around the sprite until it looks somewhat like this:

Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Tutori13

Now, select a larger eraser tool and start to work on erasing more of the background around the sprite, WITHOUT erasing a single pixel of the sprite itself.

Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Tutori14

Once that's done, zoom back out, then select an even larger size for the eraser and erase away the rest of the background. And Voila! You have a sprite.

Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Tutori15

Now save it as either a regular Gimp format or gif. Don't save it with a format that can't handle transparency. Gimp should alert you if the format you selected can't.

To use your sprite in a comic, just go to "Edit" at the top, then select "Copy Visible", then open up your Sprite comic and paste it in!
Back to top Go down
Camds
Administrator!
Administrator!
Camds

Number of posts : 657
My thoughts : The answer I give is yes, but what I mean is no.
Mood : Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Amazed
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial)   Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 3:40 am

It looks good, but MSpaint is alot easier to use.
Back to top Go down
https://spritecomics.aforumfree.com
Rimhanger92
Sprite Novice!
Sprite Novice!
Rimhanger92

Number of posts : 4
My thoughts : Im Hungry ._.
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial)   Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 10:59 am

Yeah i like using paint better. Programs like photoshop and gimp are a bit to advanced for me when dealing with sprites.
Back to top Go down
Camds
Administrator!
Administrator!
Camds

Number of posts : 657
My thoughts : The answer I give is yes, but what I mean is no.
Mood : Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Amazed
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial)   Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:24 am

I find that using photoshop and that are brilliant, but for cutting sprites
out paint is better cause its simpler.
Back to top Go down
https://spritecomics.aforumfree.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial)   Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting your own sprites (Gimp Tutorial)
Page 1 of 1